Back to Top

Places to See

The Big Calvinist Church (Kossuth tér) was built between 1805-09 on the foundations of St. Andrew’s Church, remains of which are found around the present-day building. The Hungarian Parliament held its session in the Church twice, first during the War of Independence (1848-49) and then during World War II (1944).

The County Hall (Piac u. 54.), built in 1911-1912 in Hungarian-secessionist style, reconstructed in 1986. Debrecen’s first lodging house, the White Horse Inn used to stand on its site.

Csokonai Theatre (Kossuth u. 10.), built in 1861-1865 in romantic style. The building can seat 600 people.

Déri Museum (Déri tér), built 1926-1928, in eclectic style. Ferenc Medgyessy’s four world-famous statues in front of the building were unveiled in 1930. The statues represent Archaeology, Science, Art, and Ethnography. Most of the original exhibits of the museum were donated by the founder, Frigyes Déri. The famous Jesus-trilogy (Christ before Pilate, Golgotha, Ecce Homo) painted by Mihály Munkácsy is kept in Munkácsy hall. The museum owns only one of the paintings, Ecce Homo, the other two are here as deposits.

Hotel Aranybika (Piac u. 11-15.), the old wing of which was built between 1913-15 in eclectic style. One of the architects, Alfréd Hajós, was Hungary’s first swimming champion at the Olympic Games in Athens, in 1896. The three-star hotel can sleep approximately 500 people. Its famous concert hall is named after Béla Bartók.

Liceumbush (at the corner of Fűvészkert and Múzeum utca), a box-thorn (lycium halimifolium) grown into a tree. It is a botanical rarity because this type of plant is neither grass nor tree. The story behind the tree dates from the 18th century: Minister Bálint, a follower of the Reformation, was arguing with Master Ambrosius, who was a Catholic. Minister Bálint had a branch of box-thorn in his hand. Ambrosius argued that Calvin’s doctrines would never grow into a religion, he said: “It will be a religion when a box-thorn grows into a tree.” Minister Bálint answered: “It will grow into a tree then!” and he stuck the branch into the ground. The little branch grew into the tree as we can see today.
 

Medgyessy Museum (Péterfia u.28.), built in 1770 in classical style. The museum is named after sculptor Ferenc Medgessy, whose allegoric statues in the Deri Museum park, representing Archaeology, Science, Art, and Ethnography won the Paris Grand Prix in 1930.

Memorial Garden (Kálvin tér), with the statue of István Bocskai, made by Barnabás Holló and the Column of Galley Slaves (inaugurated in 1895). During his visit to Debrecen, John Paul II crowned the column with a wreath paying homage in this way to the Protestant victims commemorated by the monument.

Red Church (Méliusz tér), built in 1887 in neo-gothic style. It is unique among Calvinist churches because the walls of the building are decorated with biblical scenes based on Jenő Harangy’s designs.

Reformed College (Kálvin tér 16.), built in 1804-1816 in classical style. The College dates back to 1538. It has provided education from primary to academic level (University of Reformed Theology). Its main library, with its stock of about half million volumes, is the biggest collection of this kind owned by the Reformed Church in Hungary.

St. Ann Cathedral (Szent Anna u.15.), built in 1721-1746 in baroque style.

St. George Greek Catholic Church (Attila tér), built in the 1910’s, in neo-Byzantine style.

Small Church (Piac u.35.) was originally built in 1719-1727 in baroque style. The tower was damaged in 1907 and later the whole tower-top was blown off by the wind. The architects, accepting the will of God constructed a bastion-like tower. This is why the building is also known as the „Church with the Truncated Tower”.

City Hall (Piac u. 20.) built in 1842-1843. It houses the Mayor’s Office, and the Local Government as well.

Tímárház (Tanner House – Nagy Gál u. 6.), a significant memento of the history of manufacturing industry in Debrecen presenting folk traditions. Handicrafts characteristic of Debrecen and the region are sold here.

The Thermal Baths of Debrecen (in the Big Forest area). The first bath in town was buil in 1826. The 1930’s brought significant development in the culture of bathing when thermal waters of 63 ºC were found at the borders of the town. The bath was certified as a thermal bath and its waters as medical waters in 1960. The open-air bath is closely attached to the thermal bath with its 8 pools and a park of 8 hectares. Opening hours from 1st May till the end of August:
8 am – 7 pm.

Amusement Park and Zoo (Ady Endre u. 1.)  www.zoodebrecen.hu

Rowing Lake (Pallagi u.)
Boat, water-bicycle, water dodgem

Zsuzsivonat (Narrow Gauge Train). The train takes you to the forest area around the city. It is a popular holiday resort perfect for open air cooking and long walks.
Departures: Faraktár u. 60. For information on the timetable see www.zsuzsivonat.hu