Back to Top

How to obtain a Hungarian tax ID number?

If you are an international student enrolled in a Hungarian higher education institution and you intend to participate in a scholarship program which involves a stipend from the university or any Hungarian governmental body, you will need a Hungarian tax ID number.

For certain types of scholarships a tax ID number is necessary in order to begin the application process. For other types of scholarships the number is not necessary for the application but it is required if your application is successful and you are to receive a stipend.

Students studying at the University of Debrecen through the Hungarian Scholarship Board or the International Student Exchange Program also must have a tax ID number.

Please note that you do NOT have to pay taxes after your stipend in Hungary; but by law the university cannot transfer your stipend to your bank account unless you have a tax ID number.


To obtain a tax ID number in Hungary is a very easy process and it is free of charge.

1. First, click here to download the necessary form.

2. Since the form is only available in Hungarian, click here to download a form with hints in English. You will need Adobe reader X or a later version to display the file correctly.

3. Fill up the form using a blue pen, with block capital letters.

4. When you have completed the form, you need to submit it in person at the local office of the Tax Authorities:

29/c Faraktár Street, Debrecen (click here for a map)
Phone: +36 52 517 200

Office hours:

Monday 8.00am–6.00pm
Tuesday 8.00am-12.00pm
Wednesday 2.00pm-6.00pm
Thursday 8.00am–12.00pm
Friday 8.00am–11.00am


5. Upon submitting the form, you will be given the number at once. Your tax ID card will be sent to you by surface mail within a few weeks.

6. Please ask the responsible person in the Education Office or in the Student Service Center to enter your tax ID number in the Neptun system. Unless the number is recorded in Neptun, you will not receive your stipend.